Sunday, April 5, 2015

Hero Profile: Professor X



Happy Easter, to the religious folks joining us. Now, for the last day of my X-Men Theme Week, have a special guest, Professor Charles Xavier. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Professor.
The pleasure is mine. Is there a particular reason that my text is yellow?
Well, I had trouble figuring out the perfect color for you, Professor. You don’t really wear a specific color with a costume, so that idea was out. I can’t really colorize your power, like I did with Magneto. So, my choices were basically limited to blue and yellow, based on your teams early colors. I’ve saving blue for another guest, so you kind of got stuck with it.
Hm, interesting. I don’t mind, I was just curious.
A most dignified Superhero.
Would you like to get started?
Of course. Where should I begin?
Might as well go all the way back. Give our viewers the full picture.
Splendid idea. I was born in New York City, to Brian and Sharon Xavier. My father was a very wealthy and well respected nuclear scientist. I’ve theorized that it was the exposure to radiation in my father’s line of work that led to me being born a Mutant. Things were very pleasant during those early years, but sadly, they came to an end.
As things tend to do with people in your line of work.
Yes, early tragedies are common among people in my…social circle. In my case, my father was killed in a lab accident. My mother was distraught, understandably so, but unfortunately her emotions were like the scent of a wounded animal to a particular predator, Kurt Marko. Marko began courting my mother, and on the surface he was very pleasant. He treated my mother kindly and was cordial with me. It wasn’t until my telepathic powers began to manifest that I learned that Marko was only interested in my mother for the fortune my father left to her. I, of course, was in a pickle. I knew this terrible secret about Marko, but I had no proof, and even mentioning it to my mother would ruin that little bit of happiness she’d gained after my father’s death. I kept silent, but that was a mistake.
Charles Xavier (Earth-1610)
When he puts his hands to his head, think calm, happy thoughts
My mother married Kurt, and he moved in along with my new step-brother, Cain. Things quickly spiraled downward. Kurt grew distant and neglectful of my mother, and as their relationship waned, my mother began drinking heavily to numb herself. And, as she grew less and less coherent, Kurt grew more and more abusive. Kurt had been beating Cain for years, and this left Cain very…emotionally disturbed. In terms of intensity, I perhaps fared worse, for I had to deal with Kurt’s anger, as well as Cain’s. But, I tried to not hold it against Cain, he was the product of my step-father’s anger after all. I tried to use my powers to see the full extent of the damage that Cain had suffered, but this only made Cain despise me more.
People always seem to have difficulties that kind of invasion of privacy, don’t they?
I learned that after the incident, yes. We went on like this for a few years, before my mother died. Losing my mother left me angry, angrier than I could ever remember being. When Cain came around to relieve his own frustrations, I fought back. Our childish brawl ended in my step-father’s laboratory where we knocked over several sensitive experiments. This led to a fire that burned down my home. Cain and I would have died ourselves, had Kurt not arrived and pulled us from the flames. He died after saving us, after admitting that he was partially responsible for my father’s death.
Wow, and that all went down before you were even fifteen?
Yes, I had a very eventful childhood. After those tragic events I turned completely to my studies. By the time I was twenty I received PhDs in Genetics, Biophysics, Psychology, and Anthropology. Oh, and an MD in Psychiatry. And no, I never cheated on my exams.
I didn’t say that.
You thought it.
X Professor X 2
Amplifies his power at least tenfold.
Yeah, you’re right. You can’t tell me you weren’t ever tempted, though.
Temptation is always there. It is the mark of a strong man to resist temptation. Remember that. Now, I wasn’t solely focused on academia during this time. While in graduate school, I met a fellow genetics student named Moira Kinross. We fell for each other hard, and quickly. We’d have gotten married had I not been drafted in the Korean War. Despite my distaste for War, I was an effective soldier. While in Korea I met the future father of Kitty Pryde, better known as Shadowcat, and witnessed the apparent death of my step-brother Cain when he found the Ruby of Cyttorak. I also received a Dear John letter for Moira. She’d left me for her ex, Joseph MacTaggert. A man that I might add, used to and continued to abuse her.
I’m a little surprised you didn’t turn his brain into jelly.
I didn’t hear the more unpleasant details until years later, but I will not lie, my resolve to not use my powers to harm other was sorely tested the day I learned it. Now, while the ending of my relationship with Moira was unpleasant, it turned out to be a necessary evil. After my tour of duty ended, I started traveling the globe. I found myself in Cairo, and came across a young Ororo Munroe. She was a pickpocket working for the Shadow King, an immensely powerful mutant operating under the alias Amahl Farouk. We entered into a battle of the minds. I was the victor, but it was a close battle. After this encounter, I resolved to protect humans from dangerous Mutants, and protect mutants from human oppression.
A short time later I traveled to Haifa, Israel, where a friend of mine was running a trauma clinic for those who survived the Holocaust. It was there that I met Magnus, whom would be later known as Magneto. I also met Gabrielle Haller, a woman whom was in a catatonic coma after the trauma she experienced. I used my powers to awaken her, and we fell in love. At the same time I became close with Magnus. We didn’t reveal to each other that we were Mutants, but we did spend hours holding length debates about what would occur if humanity was faced by a new super-powered race. Our discussions became less hypothetical when Gabrielle was kidnapped by Baron Wolfgang von Strucker and his HYDRA agents. Apparently she knew where their cache of gold was. We revealed our powers to each other while saving Gabrielle. Magnus wanted to kill Strucker but I stopped him. We parted ways, then, since out ideals were incompatible. Magnus took the gold with him, to fund his future plans. I stayed with Gabrielle for a time, but our relationship did eventually end. We left on good terms, although she neglected to tell me that she was pregnant. Sigh, if she had, I might have been able to do something for our son, David.
Xavier-X-MenDOFP
Two drastically different, but still topnotch
performances.
Legion’s powers would have made life difficult regardless, Professor. If my understanding of his powers are correct, he’s the most powerful Mutant’s born since Apocalypse.
True, but I could have smoothed things out a little. I traveled to the Himalayas and battled an alien named Lucifer. He was rather upset with my interference, and dropped a huge stone block on my legs after I foiled his plans. While recovering in India I met a nurse named Amelia Voght, and we started seeing each other.
Geeze, Professor after Moira you were just constantly on the rebound, weren’t you?
Occupational hazard, I’m afraid. Amelia was also a Mutant, which helped strength our relationship, or so I thought. We moved back to my family estate in America, and things were fine for a while. Until I started my school, that is. I tracked down a young man with the incredible ability to fire beams of energy from his eyes, and offered him my mansion as a safe haven for himself and a place to learn to control his powers. The young man, Scott, agreed. Unfortunately when he moved in, Amelia moved out. She felt that Mutant’s should remain scattered and quiet, while I wanted us to embrace who we are and not be afraid. I’m ashamed to admit I tried to force her to stay with my telepathy, but almost immediately regretted this attempt and let her go.
 From this point onward I was Professor Xavier, teacher and guardian of Mutants. I gathered four other exceptional young people, whom took to being called the X-Men. I aided them as best I could as they grew as people, and as superheroes. And while I’ve trained many, many Mutants in my day, and also formed a fair share of teams, Scott, Jean, Hank, Warren and Bobby will always hold a special place in my heart. I’ve built professional relationships with the foremost minds in the study of Mutants, and fought hard for the world to see us for what we are, a new species that merely wants a chance to share the world as best we can. I’ve battled my dear friend Magnus on several occasions. As well as seen him join the ranks of my X-Men. I formed a relationship with Lilandra, the powerful queen of the Shi’ar Empire. I’ve watched my X-men grow and change, for the better, and in a few instances for the worst. Seeing Jean be consumed by the power of the Phoenix Force was heartbreaking enough, I was devastated to see it happen again with Scott and that Phoenix Five insanity.
You don’t hold it against Scott that he…murdered you?
Professor X
He looks damn good in an X-man
outfit. Don't know why he can
walk now, thought.
The only feelings I have on that matter is that I am disappointed. Disappointed in myself that I didn’t learn enough from Jean’s corruption to help Scott control that raw power. Besides, it’s not like I’ll be gone forever.
True, you Mutant’s have a habit of popping up again when we least expect it.
Quite right. Let’s move on to my powers. I’m a telepath, I can read the thoughts and see into the minds of others. I’m considered one of the most powerful telepaths in the world, possibly the universe. My powers can stretch across the cosmos, I can communicate with Lilandra in moments, despite her being millions of light years away. Though this is a unique bond I share with her. I’m capable of using my powers in a number of different ways. For example, all I need to learn a language is someone whom is either adept at the language or better yet, a native speaker. I then read the language centers of the brain and essentially learn by osmosis. I can teach others in the same manner. I can manipulate other beings senses, creating illusions, manipulate their memories or feelings, and even force them to use their powers to help me. I can also use my powers to detect Mutants, because a Mutant’s brainwave pattern is decidedly different from a humans. I can sense them in a small radius around me, or in a gigantic radius using Cerebro. I’m also brilliant, having several PhD’s or equivalent degrees.
When it comes to X-Men in other media, obviously Xavier is in all of it. Every single X-man related thing has Xavier in a major or minor role. Kind of a no brainer since he is what the X stands for in X-Men. And honestly, you’re pretty much always the same dude. In terms of personality and emotional response.
I like consistency.
I’ll note that you seem a little quicker to anger in X-Men: Evolution. But aside from that, yeah you’re calm, cool, and collected.
 Who would you say is the best me?
Professor Xavier (X-Men Evolution)
Xavier is not amused.
Sir Patrick Stewart, no contest. He has your calm analytical demeanor, your confidence, your firm belief in hope. In much the same way that Hugh Jackman is seen as my universe’s Wolverine and Robert Downey Jr. is our Tony Stark, Patrick Stewart is our Charles Xavier. What do you think of James McAvoy as the young you in First Class and Days of Future Past?
He does a fine job as a young me, at a stage in my life when I wasn’t as experienced or as confident. I especially like the scene in Days of Future Past where the James McAvoy uses Wolverine as a bridge to see into the future and get a pep talk from the older version of himself. It was really well done, superb.
Charles Xavier is a great character. The quintessential mentor and teacher. He’s the dreamer, the man that is forever trying to lead the world into a better place despite all of the pitfalls and people out there trying to stop him. He’s the man that inspired Cyclops to be a leader. He helped Wolverine control the beast within himself. In one series, X-Men: Evolution, he stared down Apocalypse and asked for peace. And I think that scene sums him up best. Push him, he’ll fight back, but in the end he will always try the peaceful route first. Charles Xavier, the Master of the Mind.
Oh, I like that.
Thanks. Here, Professor, I’ll help wheel you to the door. Oh, and next time, I’ll be doing Two-Face’s villain profile. See you all then. Happy Easter.
Have a good evening everyone. 

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_X
 http://marvel.wikia.com/Charles_Xavier_%28Earth-1610%29
 http://x-men-movies-canon.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Xavier_/_Professor_X
 http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Xavier
 http://marvel.wikia.com/Charles_Xavier_%28Earth-7964%29
 http://dennisfielder.wikia.com/wiki/Professor_X/Charles_Xavier

No comments:

Post a Comment