Saturday, May 3, 2014

Amazing Spider-man 2 review



THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-2.jpgWhat can I say about The Amazing Spider-man 2 that hasn’t already been said in the last week leading up to its release? Not much, there are a lot of solid reasons to love it, and a quiet a few equally solid reasons to hate it. All I can really do is present some of the things I liked, and some that I didn’t like, and use my own wit and skill to show them in an interesting manner. I’m going to try to keep spoilers to a minimum, though I think a quick Google search will get the biggest bomb out of the way.
                So, what is there to like? Well, unlike the last Spidey film where they presented multiple villains, there was actually a pretty decent balance with the main two, Max Dillon aka Electro and Harry Osborn aka the Green Goblin (Although Harry’s alias is never mentioned they really imply it). I’m sorry to say for anyone hoping Paul Giamatti’s Rhino would be a major character, they pretty much summed up his scenes in the movie in the trailers. Not exaggerating at all on that one, and that makes me a little sad.
File:Electrocloseup.jpgIt was rather amazing to see Jamie Foxx, a celebrity that many would consider to be smooth, sexy, and/or cool to play this version of Electro so well. When he is first presented Dillon is a really stereotypical obsessive nerd. Spider-man saves his life early in the film and he becomes utterly devoted. He has a shrine dedicated to his hero in his apartment, he talks to himself pretending Spider-man is there and is his best friend, and he even has a pretty entertaining fit when someone mocks the wall-crawler. After getting his powers, and realizing that Spider-man doesn’t even remember his name, Electro does what a lot of jilted fans/future stalkers do. Vow vengeance and plot to make everyone who ever crossed him sorry. The visual effects on his powers are really stunning, particularly scenes where he’s flying at high speeds.
File:GreenGoblin-HarryO-headshot.jpgHarry Osborn is also a decent villain, but he does feel a little more rushed. His backstory is explained rather quickly, he was shipped off to boarding school eight years prior, traveled a bit, and finds out a few days before his father dies he has an incurable genetic disease that will slowly eat away at his body, drive him insane, and ultimately kill him. It took them five minutes to explain this. In his first scene. Lot o stuff to process. He is like Venom in the original Spider-man’s third installment, where we only see a little of his villainous alter ego, and that is a bit of the problem. They make him look so creepy and badass but he’s only the Green Goblin for all of about ten minutes. I’d say the potential was wasted but no to the same degree as Venom was in Spider-man 3.
Gwenspidey.pngAndrew Garfield’s performance as Peter Parker/Spider-man was very good, as was Emma Stone’s as Gwen Stacey, and they had very good chemistry together. But they played it up to much. There were about two scenes too many where they did this same dance, “We want to be together, we shouldn’t be together,” rinse and repeat. It really didn’t start to bug me until a scene where Gwen is on her way to a scholarship interview and Peter sort of tries to stop her that it got annoying. Sitting in the theater I drummed my fingers on the armrest and thought, “This is so obviously fluff it’s sickening,” and I stand by that. A five minute scene that’s only point was to further drive home the point that Peter loves Gwen, Gwen loves Peter, life is hard, and sometimes romance gets complicated. It made my head hurt.
File:Jamie Foxx as Electro.jpgNow I’ve covered a lot of stuff in a small amount of space but I want to devote a small section to the biggest problem with this film, it wastes time. A lot of time. The movie’s overall run-time, from the starting credits to the post credits is two hours and twenty minutes. There are at least twenty minutes that could be cut. And I’m not just talking scenes that run too long, I’m talking entire sections of the movie that are rather pointless. Case in point, the airport scenes. Towards the films climax Electro sucks up all the power from the New York electrical grid. He cuts the power to the city that never sleeps. Because of this, two planes are going to collide because they don’t have navigation telling them they are on an intersecting flight path. We see the pilots on both planes finding out they are flying blind, we see the tower people trying to get back online, and we see the two planes impossibly miss each other when Spidey saves the day. Every second of these three to five minute scenes are completely pointless. It doesn’t contribute to the fight, to Peter personally, or to even the gravity of the situation. New York is in a city wide blackout, we need nothing else to tell us that that is BAD. All it took, for me at least, to get the gravity of what was going on was to see New York black. The iconic buildings of Time Square, the Oscorp tower, the planes taking off, that is all I needed to know that “it” was about to hit the fan.
File:The Green Goblin Harry.jpgThe climax didn’t make me tear up. I heard sniffling and a few gasps, but as shocked as I was to see it portrayed the way it was, I’d been expecting it from the start and honestly started to pray for it toward the middle. Does this make me callous? Probably. But honestly people, was anyone really shocked?
In the end I give it a B. I’m probably being too generous, but Spider-man has a soft spot in my heart. There are a lot of good elements, and a few things holding it back but all around it’s not a bad flic. At the very least, it didn’t just feel like a commercial for the Sinister Six movie. Side note, The Sinister Six are a team of Spider-man’s enemies usually created and run by Dr. Octopus, though this movie version suggests Harry will be in charge this go around. Back on task, it didn’t just feel like set up. Well, for most of it. 







1 comment:

  1. I used this in my review of this film, a professor once said to me separate the person from the author when grading papers.

    ReplyDelete